Saturday, July 14, 2012

Goat Yogurt

Woohoo!  We got to go milk my friend's goats on Thursday night.  Everybody took turns, and Nyah was the goat-milking rock star.  She picked it up quicker than anybody and did a lot of the milking.  So it was fitting that she help turn some of that milk into homemade yogurt on Friday.

3 TB plain yogurt from the grocery store
1 quart of goat milk
1 cup of canned milk, because I thought it might help while we're getting used the the flavor, but the yogurt was so mild I don't really think we need it

Other equipment needed: an instant read thermometer and a good dehydrator.  I divided the milk between 3 clean pint jars.

Start the dehydrator warming up by setting it to 110 degrees or so.  Warm the milks to 110 degrees, 115 tops.  Put 1 TB of yogurt in each jar.  Pour the warmed milk into the jars, dividing it evenly.  Stir it to get the yogurt start evenly through the warm milk.  Loosely put on the lids.

Put the jars in the dehydrator.  Turn it up to 115 degrees.  Check in three or four hours, but in my experience it takes longer than that to thicken up.  (Bear in mind, it won't get as thick as commercial yogurts without adding milk powder or gelatin to thicken it up.)  I left my first batch in the dehydrator for about 6 1/2 hours, and the second for closer to 7 1/2.

Our favorite uses for the yogurt have been in homemade frozen yogurt and yogurt whole grain waffles.  (Now those are some light and crispy waffles.  Recipe forthcoming.)  I also like the yogurt with a drizzle of honey and some pecans or fruit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment