Thursday, June 21, 2012

Homemade Tortillas, or Wrappers for Wraps

The thing about recipes I've collected over the years is that they are almost like scrapbook or journal pages.  A recipe will remind me of where and when I first tried it, or the person I got it from.  This recipe is from our first stint in San Diego, where we met two wonderful people, Andy and Lara.  Lara made these tortillas one night when they had us over for dinner. :)

4 cups flour - I like spelt, you can also use wheat (soft or hard white, barley, and probably rye)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups warm water

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Pour in the olive oil and rub it through your fingers until you've got a sandy/ small peas kind of texture.
 

Make a well in the middle and pour in the water.  (Having read about the benefits of soaking grain, I also added some apple cider vinegar.  Probably about a tablespoon.)  Stir it in, mixing well and continuing to stir for a little longer to "knead" the dough.  It will be very sticky, but this makes it easier to roll it out thin later.


Let the dough rest for 10 minutes or until you are ready to roll...this batch sat overnight and into the next day before I had time to cook the tortillas.  I just stuck the bowl in the fridge until I was ready.  If it will be just a few hours you can even leave it out on the counter.


 Get a cutting board that is big enough to roll out tortillas/wrappers to the size that you want.  Preheat your pan to medium low, but watch as  you go and adjust the temp higher or lower as needed.  Adjust according to the size of tortilla/wrap you want, but I grab a glob of dough about the size of an egg.  Keep both sides nice and floury to avoid sticking, and roll it out as thin as you can.  Slap it on the pan and roll the next one while the first one cooks.  It will depend on how hot your pan is but plan on just a couple of minutes on each side.  Put it on a cooling rack and get the next tortilla on the pan.


Once you've cooked all the tortillas/wrappers and they've cooled off, put them in a bread bag.  Since the wrappers I make are too long to close the bread bag, I put another bag on over the open end.

No comments:

Post a Comment